Is Weight Loss Surgery Right For Me?
You may be a candidate for bariatric (weight loss) surgery if you are:
- Struggling with an obesity-related condition like hypertension, heart disease or sleep apnea.
- Battling weight with a BMI (body mass index) greater than 35 and at least one obesity-related disease; or a BMI of 40+ with or without an obesity-related disease.
- At least 18 years old.
- Currently trying to lose weight or have tried to lose weight in the past through diet and exercise.
- Psychologically ready for weight loss surgery and willing to commit to a whole new lifestyle.
Not sure of yor BMI? Check out the BMI Calculator.
To have bariatric surgery, patients must:
- Attend an online seminar and check your insurance to verify benefits.
- Meet with the bariatric surgeon at least twice.
- Schedule nutrition, exercise, and psychological evaluations.
- Attend an online support groups.
- Get surgical clearance from your family doctor and/or other specialists as needed.
- Complete a two-week pre-op diet prior to surgery and consult with pharmacist.